Sunday, July 21, 2013

Scarring Happenings at Downtown Cluster

You would think that nothing inappropriate could really happen at an elderly daycare populated by people in walkers with Alzheimer's, right?

Well, you would have thought wrong.

When we were there last Tuesday, a woman came in to speak to the clients about HIV/AIDS, or more specifically, how not to get it. In very specific detail. Including the offering of free condoms. And a lot of comments directed to my students, since they were probably the only ones in the room actually capable of sexual activity.

Every week we have a "site visit" with either Chris or Kyle, our directors, to talk about how the week is going. So while this all was happening, I was on my site visit at the Hyatt across the street, talking about how great the week was going, how impressed I was by my students, etc. Then I walked back into the daycare center to see this random woman who I've never laid eyes on before lecturing the higher-functioning group (which is a pretty relative term, and also where most of our volunteers spend the morning). All my students--who thankfully were all 10-12th graders--were wearing glazed looks of horror. I took a seat in the back, tuned in, and started cracking up so badly that I had to leave again before the lecturer noticed I was laughing. By the time I got back, she had finished, but my students were helping the elderly with evaluations of the talk and it turns out that during the process, the elderly were telling my students all sorts of colorful stories about their former exploits.

Pretty bad, huh?

Fortunately they all thought it was funny. I wasn't sure how that was going to go over, since a good number of my students attend a small, private Christian school and those aren't really known for their comprehensive sex ed curriculum. But no worries. I guess those guys are thoroughly educated now... and a few even said it was their "high" of the day, just because it was so funny.

In conclusion: beware the elderly daycare.

No comments:

Post a Comment