Wednesday, July 10, 2013

On Being the Nomad Host

Last week I had the privilege of hosting a group from New Brunswick, Canada! I thought the directors were going to give this group to the Canadian host on our team but it turned out to be a pretty big church so a few others of us got to tag along. It was pretty awesome, eh?

The group itself was really cool--a bunch of eager high schoolers who gave away all their food on the Urban Plunge rather than feeding a homeless person AND themselves like they were supposed to. Their youth pastor was moving on from the church, and was with them on the trip, so last week was a big deal for all of them.

But I do, unfortunately, have a lot of regrets about the week. It turned out to be really difficult for me in terms of hosting. We haven't had any significant time off in about a month, so Chris and Kyle worked out the schedule to put several of us into rotation--meaning our church, which had two serving groups and only needed two hosts, had three instead. Then one person could be off each day while another filled in.

I loved having the chance to catch up on sleep and I definitely feel the difference this week! But as the third host I wasn't officially assigned to either group and the kids got attached to the other hosts and spent most of our time together missing them. In retrospect it wasn't that big of a deal. They hid it pretty well and were very welcoming. But, it turns out that feeling like an outsider, or extra, or what have you, is something that really gets to me--and I let it. It really put a damper on the week.

Obviously, the circumstances were out of my control. What if I'd accepted that and been a little FATter (Flexible, Available, and Teachable, for those of you not down with the lingo)? Would the week have been less uncomfortable? Who knows. What I DO know is, I will be actively trying to combat my attitude in the future so I don't waste any more time I could be enjoying with wonderful people!

No comments:

Post a Comment