Monday, July 1, 2013

I Sense a Pattern

This is that apologetic blog post where I try to make amends for not updating regularly. You know, the one you have to post after roughly six weeks of blogging? When lying flat on the couch and playing Bejeweled becomes a more attractive use of free time than organizing your thoughts into four semi-entertaining paragraphs?

At any rate, I will hopefully maintain a little more updating consistency than I have for the past two weeks, if only because I want to remember what I did six months from now! For example, about two weeks ago I had my favorite group so far. They were from Charlottesville, VA, mostly homeschoolers and siblings, and very skilled in inside-joke-making, fun-having, and knowledge of all things Doctor Who.

I wish I had talked more about them when they were here, because I would remember more details. They were tons of fun. During orientation, we normally do skits to demonstrate the rules, but they showed up late so they had their own orientation and we had them read out the cards instead. But no, that was too boring for these guys. The first student belted out our "in the church" guidelines in his best opera voice. Just imagine a rousing, vibrato rendition of "if you clog it... plunggee itttt...." to start off your week. We rapped that session up, literally, with the "in the city" guidelines, featuring a pretty rad beatboxing demonstration while another student chanted "do not bulldoze" (block the sidewalk).

They kept up the rapping at DC Central Kitchen at the request of our favorite manager there. We had the evening shift, meaning we cleaned up the kitchen at the end of the night. Except for the part where we took a break to gather 'round and hear Joseph rap "pour, the cheese. Pour, pour, the cheese" while one of the others did just that (we had a really big kettle of cheese sauce to empty out). That was the same night I accidentally sprayed one of the students in the back with the hose by squeezing the handle when I was talking to the leaders. He was very calm about it, surprisingly.

I think what made that group my favorite was that their leaders were really amazing people. So far I've liked all the students I've had, but certain leaders really stand out. There's been at least one every week who does, but that week all three of them were great. It made everything so easy and enjoyable. Well, except maybe the waking up early. That's never really enjoyable.

Anyway, that will have to be that for my Charlottesville group, since I'm a bit behind on updates. But more to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment