I'm in DC for the summer with Center for Student Missions as a city host. It's a pretty intense job and I won't have a ton of time to keep people posted on what we're doing here in the city, so that's the purpose of this blog. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it fresh with stories (and come up with something slightly more interesting for a title...)
This week and next week are just training. I'm here with six other hosts (I definitely think of Stephenie Meyer and aliens every time I call myself this) and the two directors. We're learning the city, visiting the ministry sites, and going through logistics of how to be a host. I don't feel like I'm getting enough sleep but that's probably a sensation I'll have to get used to!
Today is unusual because we have a few free hours before eating lunch and going on a prayer walk in the neighborhood (this is an activity the youth groups will do when they get here). Hence why I have time to write this! We've split time between training sessions and ministry site visits this week but I think next week we'll go to more sites. We're trying to get to most of the places we'll take groups just so we're familiar with them.
In exciting happenings, the president of CSM, Dan Reeve, was here with us the first few days! He's a great guy and very funny. Apparently the first thing he said to one of the other hosts was that he'd come here to fire her in person (of course he wasn't serious). This morning we went to a breakfast ministry which starts at 6 AM... so I got up at 4:45. It was a little brutal (although the ministry was really cool). We will only go there once a week at most.
![]() |
| This is the sanctuary of the church where the breakfast ministry is... absolutely gorgeous. |
We've spent a lot of time learning how to navigate the city by paper map--no phones or GPSes allowed! That was pretty much our family rule for my entire childhood, so this is proving a little easier for me than it is for the other new hosts. None of them are from the area, so that's an added challenge, but I'm impressed with how quickly they're picking it up. We have yet to get really, truly lost!
Tonight and tomorrow are free days for us so I'm looking forward to getting a little more sleep than usual and hanging out with the other hosts. We've definitely been bonding well as a team, which is making the abrupt transition from school to home to work much easier. Having a job is really pleasant when you like your coworkers!
It's almost lunchtime and this post is pretty long anyway so I'll call it quits for now.

No comments:
Post a Comment